2026-9-23 Cowpet Bay and Megan's Bay

Woke up to a bright sunny day (just like every day).  Also to Layla waiting for someone to get up.  She an I would visit every morning until 8 when she was allowed to go wake Mom and Dad up.  So here she is on our little patio while we waited for 8 am.   

Enjoying our view.  Even watched the workers scooping Sargassum out of the water by the beach.
When Layla saw I was up she immediately came on down.
Once mom and Dad were up, it didn't take us long to hit the road.  But first we had to walk down to the car.
looking back at our condo
heading down to the parking lot
wild bananas growing along the way
still heading down.  My osteoarthritic knees did pretty well with all the steps.  In fact, by the end of the 9 days, I think it was even easier.
passing the lobby on our say to the parking lot

Off to Cowpet Bay by the Wyndham Elysian Resort.  One of our favorite beaches and noone seems to know about it.
Layla checking it out.
she's ready
and we're off---and snorkeling
I was the only one who saw this little guy---an octopus!!!  1 of 2 that I saw this trip.
such a rare find, here's another picture of it.
a couple butterfly fish
surgeonfish---blue tang
 snapper
everyone in now.  The water felt great!
looking back towards the Elysian condos.
our novice snorkeler
novice and old snorkelers.

layla and her dad

the only lion fish we saw this trip
another tang
conch
love the Elysian beach.  Plus they never yell at us for taking up a lounger.
Layla took to snorkeling like she's been doing it for years
We saw several of these things.  Googled them and found out they are single cell organisms!!!  Sailor's Eyeballs, sea pearls, or bubble algae   They are a type of green algae (Chlorophyta), not animals or coral.  They are among the largest known single-celled organisms on Earth, typically growing from 0.4 to 1.6 inches in diameter.  

looking towards the Elysian beach bar where we had lunch later.

Layla also loved playing in the shallow water with sandy bottom.
We have another ocean lover!
jumping for joy
eating a leaf taco

taking a break for our real lunch

view from our table
one of the really pretty cats running wild

back at our condo---another wild cat.  A wild Siamese cat.  Poor little kitty seemed to have something wrong with it's jaw.

to remind me of our room number
Layla was complaining of itching after snorkeling so I stayed with her at the condo so she could shower and Angie and Josh ran to the grocery store for a few basics---bread, milk, creamer, beer, ... .  Then they rode a shuttle back to our room.
they even got Layla some Boogers.
and pop rocks
Then we decided to head to another beach.  Hadn't really planned to go to Megan's beach with it's fee and snorkeling not being great, but someone said it actually wasn't bad to the right.  So that's where we went.
to the right

beautiful beach.  $7/person and $2 per car (Layla was free).
pelican waiting to go fishing.
some of the many fish

the tiniest barracudas I've ever seen.
more tiny fish


even saw a couple rays




water was so clear
big puffer
family portrait
didn't work too well getting us all in the picture
layla and me
the Hicks
the Layla fish






lizard fish






big cucumber fish

the moon

pelican getting ready to dive
playing in the shallows
we even stayed for sunset



Back at the resort, we hung out by the lower bar for a bit while we decided on what we wanted for dinner.  We decided on take out from the Margaritaville restaurant.  So Layla and I were going to go back to the room and get cleaned up while Angie and Josh waited in the bar for our food.  Then I realized I didn't have my phone and wristlet purse!  I never put my phone in it, but when we were at Megan's I did and left it in the car.  So I thought it was still in the car and went to get it on our way.  It wasn't there!!!  Soon we were all looking all over the car for it---and my beach bag.  No luck!  we finally decided to go back to Megan's to see if it fell out of the car.  Wasn't looking forward to  going there in the dark on those roads and driving on the wrong side of the road!  Before we got in to go, Angie used her phone to call mine and surprisingly someone answered.  It was in the restaurant!!!  Took me awhile to figure out how that happened.  I had forgotten that I went to the bathroom at the side of the restaurant when we first got there.  Apparently it fell out of my bag.  Someone found it and turned it into the restaurant.  So relieved!!!!  Just got that phone a couple weeks ago---$1500 Iphone 18 Pro.  By the time we got back to the room, our food was a bit cold.  But I didn't care since my purse and phone were safe. 



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2026-9-22 travel day to St. Thomas

2026-10-1 time to go home

2026-9-26 Mountain Top, Secret Beach, and Duffy's Love Shack